
Last semester I took a Horse Production Practices class where I learned the basics of horse care, nutrition and so forth. I was taking this class as the closing of the final American horse slaughterhouse was taking place. And I just want anyone who reads this to understand something. Before house bill 503 was passed 250,000 horses were being sent to American slaughterhouses where the meat and hides were then shipped to Europe and Asia where it is considered a delicacy. American slaughterhouses were under strict regulation regarding how the horses were to be killed. This bill was passed in 2008 which made it illegal to kill any horse for consumption of their meat. On the outside this may seem like a reasonable bill to those who are not educated, so let
me educate you further. First of all lets think about this reasonably, If 250,00 horses were being slaughtered before this bill where are the the 250,000 horses now? Well there are a number of things that can happen to them. First, they can be shipped to Canada or Mexico where the slaughterhouses are still open, While Canada has some regulations Mexico does not. Mexican workers stab the horse in the back repeatedly until the horse dies. This is NOT the proper way to kill a horse, this will cause seemingly endless torture. Think about this, if you knew you had to die, would you rather be stabbed 70, 80, or 100 times in the back until you died, or would you rather be shot in the head guaranteeing instant death? Personally, I would want instant death. Another problem is that many believe their "unwanted" horse can easily be let loose in the wild and live a long healthy life. This cannot be more false. These horses are domesticated. These horses have been given their hay and protected from predators their whole life, what do you suppose will happen to them? They starve to death. There are refuges open, however they are above their limit as is. They absolutely cannot take anymore horses in. There are rehabilitation programs in place using horses (SL county jail uses such a program), but again they cannot take in anymore. What about auctions you say? The auction market is at an all time low right now, many instances people have abandoned their horse at the auction site. People simply cannot afford more horses. They don't have the means to support the horse, or they are just plain sick of it. PETA, how is this "humane"? please tell me because I am dying to know. So now I am forced to wonder, if PETA thought thi
s was such a good idea, where are they now? They are most definitely NOT cleaning up the mess they have caused. It hurts me so much to know that these horses are suffering. Its ironic that those who were asking to stop the slaughters thought they would stop suffering when in truth they have caused more suffering on these horses than there ever has been.
Today I received an email from the Human Society of Utah saying that there is another bill being pushed through Congress that would stop the exporting of horses to Canada and Mexico. While I do not believe what Canada and Mexico are doing is humane, I am forced to choose the lesser of two evils. I would rather these horses die from a bullet, or (grudgingly) the knife than starve to death.
Now comes my plea, please people, PLEASE pass this information on. People are STILL not aware of the effects this has brought the industry. Together we can stop this foolishness, and hopefully reopen the American slaughterhouses.
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Where is PETA now??
at 2:50 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 reactions:
Post a Comment